Tricks to Getting Up Higher in a Search Engine Citation List
by Jack Brooks
Whether personal blog or large e-commerce site, natural search engine visibility techniques used with social networking and media help you achieve higher search engine positioning and more traffic. Both traditional and new methods used together will improve your search position.
People use specific words and phrases to search the Web; relevant keywords and key phrases in high-value content are critical for high ranking on major search engines.
Use free online keyword tools, such as Google's Keyword Tool, to find primary and secondary keywords and key phrases for each page of your website. Choose popular but not overused ones; vary their usage in well-written, readable information on your webpages making your content distinct and relevant. This pleases both readers and search engines.
Use keywords and key phrases in these areas:
• In the domain name, and use hyphens to separate words
• In the title tag near the beginning
• In subpage URLs
• In navigation link text
• In headline tags, h1, h2, h3, etc.
• In content anchor text
• In ALT text for images (text that can be seen when a cursor is held over an image)
• In the first paragraph of your content; use <strong> and <em> HTML tags to
emphasize them to the search engines
Outbound /Inbound Links
Include a few outbound links in your webpage content pointing to highly ranked "authority" websites; their high search engine visibility makes your webpages more relevant and gives content value. Use relevant keyword phrases for the these link's anchor text and check the links periodically to ensure they're still working.
Inbound Linking Methods:
• Comment on relevant blog postings and add your homepage or subpage link
so that interested readers of your comment can find your website. Add another
link within the comment, if allowed.
• Write relevant articles and submit them to article directories. Some allow you to
embed links in the body of the article, while others restrict your linking to an
Author's Resource section with the article.
• Offer free relevant content to other webmasters and request that they
include your website links in the content.
• Establish trusted relationships with bloggers; offer to guest post on their blog,
extending them the same invitation.
• Create a free newsletter or e-book for your readers containing links to relevant
pages on your website.
• Submit a Press Release to PR (public relations) services about your new website, innovative features you've added, a recent partnership or any other topical, relevant and newsworthy event worth announcing. Link to a "News" page on your website containing similar keyword/key phrase-optimized content.
Social Networking and Media
Active social networking/media sites give more ways to improve your search engine ranking by interactive content sharing. Interacting with your audience raises search engine visibility as they share your content.
Popular sites are:
• Blogs: use these "two-way websites" to offer fresh, relevant and consistent
content that the search engines and your readers will love.
• Facebook: join this online meeting place to reach a like-minded community and
create pages that search engines quickly index, as well as use features like
News Feed to take advantage of Facebook's high traffic volume.
• LinkedIn: create a professional profile and participate in forums and other
groups to share content and connection with contemporaries in your niche.
• MySpace: create your profile and use features like Group Bulletins to distribute
content to your audience.
• Twitter: listen first, then tweet carefully; give value instead of fluff. You'll gain
followers and build relationships that give search visibility.
• YouTube: use video to add visual dimension to your content; create a YouTube
channel for your videos as a gateway to your other online offerings and to raise
your search ranking.