Lead Poisoning Symptoms
by Roman Tsivkin
Lead pipes and lead-based paint in older homes are the most common reasons for lead poisoning, which mostly affects children. Lead is toxic to body tissues, and children are more susceptible because lead can accumulate in their nervous systems as they grow, though symptoms may not show up until lead levels are dangerously high.
A strange metallic taste in the mouth may indicate lead poisoning.
High levels of lead in the body may lead to neurological problems that will show up as difficulty learning new things. Very high levels of lead in children can permanently reduce cognitive ability.
As the body tries to eliminate the lead through the kidney, this organs can start malfunctioning. In extreme lead poisoning cases, a kidney transplant may be necessary.
The body's energy levels will diminish as it fights the poisoning, and both adults and children may experience a general overall weakness.
A host of gastrointestinal symptoms can crop up in lead poisoning cases. These include constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, poor appetite and weight loss.